STAY UP - An Overview
Building a Sustainable Men’s Ministry
A. An Overview
What are the facts?
- 61% of men make no profession of faith in Christ.
- Only 1 in 18 men are involved in discipleship or spiritual formation. Imagine fielding two baseball teams, and only one player had studied the play book.
- As many as 70% of men seek out pornography.
- As many Christians will divorce as non-Christians (34% vs. 33% according to Barna).
- 4 out of 5 students in evangelical churches will drop out of church by their senior year in high school (Howard Hendricks).
- 40% of children will go to bed tonight without their biological father in the home.
- 73% of households with children under 18 headed by married couples (vs. 91% in 1960); 27% households headed by single parents.
- Nuclear families comprise less than 25% of households.
- 40% of Busters raised by divorced or separated parents.
- More than 50% children born in 1990s spend part childhood in single parent home.
- 66% children will not live with both biological parents through the age of eighteen.
- 62% mothers with children under three employed. 72% mothers with children under 18 hold jobs.
Therefore, 59% of kids come home to an empty house. Nobody is home! 80% of woman’s salary goes to work-related costs, an expensive hobby.
- Fatherless children are 5 times as likely to live in poverty, repeat a grade, and have emotional problems.
- 93% of all people incarcerated are men, and 85% of them have no father figure. Prison worker Bill Glass says that of the thousands of prisoners he has met in 25 years of service, not one of them genuinely loved their dad.